Everyone wants to be able to run about, getting more stuff done without getting tired… so here are some of my personal favourite ways to feel energised…
- Make sure you have about 8 hours of sleep every night. Some people need a bit less, and some need a bit more, but if you are not resting enough, you will be exhausted by the end of the week.
- Drink plenty of water. We need to be well hydrated to function well. You should drink about 1.5litres of water each day.
- Do regular cardiovascular exercise! 3-4 times a week of proper activity, such as running, cycling, swimming, Zumba dancing for 45 minutes will make you more fit
- Eat healthily. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, as well as brown rice, lentils, pulses, brown bread and cereals. Some protein from meat, fish or eggs will help your body to function well and build more muscle for strength.
- Some weight training, such as weights in a gym, yoga or Pilates, will help to build lean muscle. I do this 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes. This will make you stronger so you don’t tire as fast.
- Meditation can help to calm the mind. Just 10 minutes each day, closing your eyes and thinking of one happy thought, helps your brain to focus your thoughts. You can then think more clearly for the rest of the day.
- Laughing! By joking with your mates and family, you spread happiness. Laughing creates positive thoughts be spreading endorphins, (happy hormones) in your body!
- Massage is wonderful if you are shattered and ache all over – especially after doing a tough night shift in the Emergency Department. Get a close friend or your partner to give you a relaxing foot and back massage. You will feel amazing!
- Make sure you try to enjoy whatever you are doing. Work does not feel like work if you are engrossed and thinking of what you will do with all the knowledge and experience you are gaining now! Knowledge is a gift and we are lucky to have it!
- Spend time with people you love. Family and friends are who make life wonderful. Have fun and enjoy every day you can!